08/20/2024, 13.46
INDIA - RUSSIA - UKRAINE
Send to a friend

Kerala Indian killed in Ukrainian offensive in Kursk

by Nirmala Carvalho

The man had left for Russia in April and told his family he worked as a cook. New Delhi promises action against agencies in the country that recruit people enticed by the promise of Russian citizenship for Moscow's army. Modi expected in Kiev Aug. 23 after a visit to Moscow last month.

Kochi (AsiaNews) - Army recruits from South Asia are once again among those killed in the Ukrainian offensive in the Kursk region. A 36-year-old man from Kerala was killed Aug. 18 in a drone attack launched by Ukrainian soldiers against a Russian military group. His name was Sandeep Chandran and he was originally from Nayarangadi in Thrikkur. News of his death was spread by the Malayali-speaking community in Russia.

Sandeep's family was told that the 12-member Russian patrol team he was part of was killed and that the bodies were identified at the hospital. Sandeep and seven other Malayalis had left for Russia through an agency in Chalakudy on April 2.

The man had told his family that he was working in a restaurant in Moscow. He had later said that he was serving in a canteen at a Russian military camp and was safe, but then made it known that he had lost both his passport and his phone.

According to some, Sandeep had joined the army to acquire Russian citizenship. And while he was undergoing military training, he could not stay in touch with his family. According to his Malayali friends in Russia, he could not even make phone calls.

Indian Embassy adviser in Moscow Ramkumar Thangaraj confirmed the news of the death, saying he had been informally notified of the death by Russian authorities and reporting that his body is in Rostov. In his message, the official assured the family that the Indian government will investigate the circumstances of the death and who recruited him to India to work in Russia. “We are also working,” he added, ”to obtain a speedy repatriation of other Indian citizens, including from Kerala, who have joined the Russian army.

The news of the new death of an Indian citizen in the conflict comes on the eve of Premier Narendra Modi's trip to Kiev on August 23 at the invitation of President Volodymyr Zelensky. This visit comes after Ukrainian criticism of Modi's meeting in Moscow last month with Russian President Vladimir Putin. With Modi, New Delhi is seeking to deepen its relations with the West while at the same time maintaining ties with Russia.

TAGs
Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
National Commission for Women asks for 'immediate action' in the nun rape case in Kerala
07/02/2019 17:28
Kiev wants to destroy Putin's bridge in Crimea
21/06/2022 09:32
East Ukraine chooses independence and waits for Moscow’s acknowledgment
12/05/2014
Kerala denies aim to control Church property: Pure speculation
04/03/2019 09:38
The war of the biologists in Crimea and the occupied territories
23/04/2024 10:32


Newsletter

Subscribe to Asia News updates or change your preferences

Subscribe now
“L’Asia: ecco il nostro comune compito per il terzo millennio!” - Giovanni Paolo II, da “Alzatevi, andiamo”