05/28/2020, 10.48
HONG KONG - CHINA
Send to a friend

Hong Kong police praise themselves. Middle school children also arrested

by Paul Wang

For the chief of police, Chris Tang, law enforcement officials "will drive out darkness from Hong Kong." Among the 360 ​​arrested, there are also dozens of junior high boys and girls. Social criticism. Tensions in the Legco; a Democratic MP removed from the chamber. The "grey haired" want to organize a demonstration against the security law wanted by Beijing. For Mike Pompeo, Hong Kong is no longer "autonomous."

Hong Kong (AsiaNews) - Hong Kong police chief Chris Tang congratulated his officers for their excellent work yesterday: over 3,000 policemen dissolved protests aimed at blocking the discussion on the national anthem law in parliament (Legco).

Speaking on police radio yesterday evening, Tang (photo 3) said law enforcement officials "will drive out darkness from Hong Kong."

Since yesterday afternoon, a law has been discussed at the Legco that imposes fines and prison terms of up to three years on anyone who offends or muddles the words of the Chinese national anthem. Many people in Hong Kong consider this law - together with that on security that Beijing wants to impose on the territory - to be harmful to civil rights.

At least 360 people were arrested yesterday. These also include a few dozen junior high school boys and girls, aged 13-14 (photo 1).

The association of journalists criticized the police, which also targeted reporters, driving them out or not allowing them to film situations in which violence was carried out against passers-by and young demonstrators. In social media, the police force mocked the arrests of teenagers in school uniforms (photo 2).

Meanwhile, the tension continues. Today at the Legco, there were heated debates between supporters and opponents of the law, so much so that the session has been interrupted at least twice. Democratic representative Chu Hoi-dick was forcibly taken out of the chamber.

A group of seniors, referred to as "grey haired" have forwarded a request to the police to hold a demonstration against the security law for June 6. The government banned all demonstrations until June 4, when hundreds of thousands of people in Hong Kong commemorate those killed in Tiananmen Square (June 4, 1989). The official reason is to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

A large percentage of the population of Hong Kong thinks that the new laws wanted by Beijing put an end to the "one country, two systems" principle, which until now had guaranteed a liberal style in the territory. Economic concerns also add to concerns about freedom.

Last night, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (photo 4) said that the White House no longer considers Hong Kong an autonomous reality from popular China. This means that Hong Kong, as it is no longer a freer place than China, will not be able to enjoy preferential treatment in trade and finance, as has been the case so far with the tariff war, not applied in Hong Kong.

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
For Fr Tom, abducted in Yemen, Holy Thursday prayer and adoration for the martyrs
21/03/2016 14:57
"We are optimistic," says Paul Bhatti as Rimsha Masih's bail hearing postponed to Friday
03/09/2012
Admiralty: over 3,000 policemen deployed against strike over Chinese national anthem
27/05/2020 10:42
Church leads the way in helping Vietnam cope with its educational emergency
11/03/2016 17:00
Catholic music to promote dialogue in Ambon, the city of sectarian violence
17/10/2018 13:29