12/06/2019, 14.40
HONG KONG - CHINA
Send to a friend

For the first time since August, the Civil Front returns to the streets with police permission

The organization, which includes 48 pro-democracy groups, is among the most active in popular protests. The new chief police officer flies to Beijing to meet with Chinese security leaders. Agents "ready to intervene in the event of disorder".

Hong Kong (AsiaNews / Agencies) - For the first time since August 18, police in Hong Kong issued permits for an important demonstration organized by the Civil Front for Human Rights (Chrf), scheduled for the day after tomorrow.

The organization, which includes 48 pro-democracy groups, is among the most active in the popular protests that have been taking place in the former British colony for about six months.

The new police chief, Chris Tang Ping-keung (photo2), communicated the go-ahead for the rally this morning. The official met with reporters at the airport, before leaving for Beijing for a courtesy visit to the Chinese authorities.

The "Human Rights Day 2019" march will begin at three in the afternoon in Victoria Park, in the area of ​​Causeway Bay (north of Hong Kong). The protesters will then proceed to Chater Road, in the Central business district.

Tang warned that the police are ready to intervene if the marchers ignore the demands for a "peaceful and orderly" conduct. Large-scale protests in the city are entering their sixth month.

The Civil Front for Human Rights led by Jimmy Sham Tsz-kit 'is behind some of the biggest protests since the beginning of the political crisis: that of June 16 drew about 2 million people. In the beginning, the demonstrations expressed the dissatisfaction of the population towards a controversial extradition bill now withdrawn; but over time they have turned into a wider movement that calls for democracy in the territory and an investigation into police behavior.

Tang said that, starting in June, "some protesters have sabotaged public events" by committing illegal acts including road blocks, fires and incendiary bombs. "I urge the organizers [of Sunday's march] to help the police as much as possible to make it a peaceful and orderly event. I urge them to work with the police if there is trouble. I hope they will have the courage to condemn violence, "he added.

Promoted to his new post last month, the senior official will return to Hong Kong to oversee the event after a two-day visit to China. In Beijing, Tang will be received at the Ministry of Public Security and will hold talks with the Office of the Chinese State Council for Hong Kong and Macau Affairs. "He will take the opportunity - says a government statement - to meet his counterparts, as well as inform them about the situation of law and order and exchange views on transnational crimes and police cooperation".

Send to a friend
Printable version
CLOSE X
See also
Beijing "wants to strengthen collaboration" with the Hong Kong police
07/12/2019 11:33
Jimmy Lai: Battling Beijing's arbitrary policies
11/06/2020 12:50
Hong Kong: Another lawyer 'drops' defence of 12 activists arrested in Guangdong
28/09/2020 09:43
Hong Kong, tear gas and violence resume
16/12/2019
The 'patriotic' education of Hong Kong schoolchildren
19/06/2020 15:09