The Passion of The Christ

21/01/2015 CHINA
China’s labor force collapses: four million less in a year
The National Bureau of Statistics publishes data on 2014. The total population is growing, but not enough to cover the increase in retirees and to ensure the sustainability of the welfare state, the health system and pensions. Competitiveness of national exports also at risk, the real engine of economic expansion in past 30 years.
21/01/2015 ISRAEL
Tel Aviv, 12 stabbed in bus attack
Four injured passengers are in critical condition. The police suspect terrorist attack of a "lone wolf". The assailant is a young 23 year old from Tulkarem (West Bank).
20/01/2015 CHINA
China, growth at 7.4%, the lowest in 24 years
For Premier Li Keqiang, the country is entering a new phase of "normality". The economy is gently slowing, after fears of a violent collapse. Fixed investment falls; the property market among the most affected.
19/01/2015 CHINA - VATICAN
Pope Francis sends telegram to Xi Jinping. Xinhua’s black out on Philippines’ visit
It is still unknown whether there was any response from Xi Jinping. The state agency publishes only bad news-stories related to the Philippines, coinciding with the papal visit. Instead the Global Times instead publishes editorials and extensive photo coverage on yesterday’s Mass.
19/01/2015 CHINA
Chinese shares plunge over fears that the real estate bubble will burst
China's security watchdog cracked down on the country's largest brokerage firms. The Shanghai Composite Index drops 7.7 per cent, its biggest loss since 2008. China's second exchange, the Shenzhen Composite Index, also falls by 3.41 per cent. The property market is also in major trouble as one of its main players fails to meet interest payments.
19/01/2015 INDONESIA
For Jakarta's Wahid Institute, the state is behind sectarian violence
According to a report by the prestigious institute, 51 per cent of cases of violence can be attributed to public officials and agencies. Police and security forces are negligent or share responsibility in attacks on minorities. Although the number of cases of violence has dropped, government policy has not changed. Even reformist newly elected president Jokowi has been inattentive to minority rights.
19/01/2015 SRI LANKA - VATICAN
Card. Ranjith: The Pope has built bridges of peace for Sri Lanka
Words of thanks of the Archbishop of Colombo and President of the Bishops' Conference of Sri Lanka at the end of the canonization of Joseph Vaz. Recovery after the civil war is "a difficult road. We need his prayers and blessings."
19/01/2015 ASIA
In 2016, 1% of the richest own more than the remaining 99% (Oxfam)
The gap between the world’s wealthy and the rest of the population is increasing. Between 2009 and 2013, the wealth of the richest 1% has increased from 44% to 48%. Rules governing international taxation need to be overhauled by taxing capital more and labor less; setting minimum wages and implementing a social safety net for the poorest.
19/01/2015 ASIA
In 2016, 1% of the richest own more than the remaining 99% (Oxfam)
The gap between the world’s wealthy and the rest of the population is increasing. Between 2009 and 2013, the wealth of the richest 1% has increased from 44% to 48%. Rules governing international taxation need to be overhauled by taxing capital more and labor less; setting minimum wages and implementing a social safety net for the poorest.
18/01/2015 PHILIPPINES - VATICAN
Pope to young people of Manila: Know, cry, think, feel, be with the poor
The testimony of young people, survivors of drugs and prostitution, pushes Francis to leave aside his prepared text and talk for over half an hour off the cuff: "Only if we are able to cry over what we have just heard, can find we an answer to why children have to suffer. "
17/01/2015 INDIA
Sikhs’ turban banned because "threat" for basketball
The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) has banned the use of bulky headgear for "security" reasons. The rule affects Sikhs basketball players from Punjab, the best in India. Three champions agreed to cut their hair to stop using the turban: "I am the only source of income for my family, but it was heartbreaking. It was like losing a part of me."
17/01/2015 PHILIPPINES - VATICAN
Typhoon on Leyte, forces Pope’s early return to Manila
Francis nevertheless sought to keep to his schedule , albeit shortening events. He blesses the care center for the elderly and orphans named after him, visits the small home of a fishing family, greets people and has a quick lunch with 30 survivors of typhoon Yolanda. The poor and needy "be treated fairly – that their dignity be respected, that political and economic policies be just and inclusive, that opportunities for employment and education be developed, and that obstacles to the delivery of social services be removed".
16/01/2015 RUSSIA
Moscow warns media against religious-themed cartoons
Russian authorities warn that offending religious feelings may violate the country's anti-extremism laws. Meanwhile in Chechnya, Kadyrov plans a mass rally against the cartoons, warning that Russian Muslims will not be patient forever.
16/01/2015 RUSSIA
Moscow warns media against religious-themed cartoons
Russian authorities warn that offending religious feelings may violate the country's anti-extremism laws. Meanwhile in Chechnya, Kadyrov plans a mass rally against the cartoons, warning that Russian Muslims will not be patient forever.
16/01/2015 SYRIA - ITALY
Apostolic vicar of Aleppo: happy for freed aid workers, still in the dark about kidnapped priests and bishops
Mgr Georges Abou Khazen hopes Vanessa Marzullo and Greta Ramelli can "overcome these difficult days." The prelate mentions that some Christian leaders and thousands of faithful are still in the hands of terrorist groups. He does not spare criticism of the West, "responsible" of the escalation of terror because it sells weapons and provides training.
14/01/2015 SRI LANKA - VATICAN
Pope in Sri Lanka: St. Joseph Vaz, a model of mission for "the followers of Jesus today"
Pope Francis canonizes the first saint of Sri Lanka, "exemplary priest"; at the service of "peace" and "reconciliation"; able to "go out" and to live as a "missionary disciples": the model of mission of Evangelii Gaudium. Religious freedom, a fundamental human right. "True worship of God" does not discriminate, does not hate, is not violent. For Pope’s works of charity, Cardinal. Ranjith offers a gift from the Church of Sri Lanka "poor, but rich"
13/01/2015 SRI LANKA - VATICAN
Pope in Sri Lanka: live the precepts of peace present in religions and denounce all acts of violence
Meeting in Colombo with representatives of the religions present in the country. "Dialogue will accentuate how varied our beliefs, traditions and practices are. But if we are honest in presenting our convictions, we will be able to see more clearly what we hold in common. New avenues will be opened for mutual esteem, cooperation and indeed friendship".
12/01/2015 FRANCE - ISLAM
Paris, 56 world leaders and more than 3 million people march against terrorism
Authorities label it the "largest gathering" in the history of France. People of all nationalities and religions marched together in a sign of unity and solidarity. The 56 heads of state include Palestinian President Abbas and Israeli Premier Netanyahu. A Moroccan living in London: "These fundamentalists do not represent Islam."
07/01/2015 RUSSIA
Ukraine and Russia celebrate a wartime Christmas
In the Donbass region, parishes cancelled Vigil celebrations, holding liturgical services only today. Moscow patriarch focused his message on peace in Ukraine. He also urged the faithful to be orthodox in everyday life, not only in public opinion polls.
02/01/2015 INDIA - AUSTRALIA
Seven years later, Australia to return ancient stolen Buddha statue to India
A US billionaire had smuggled the Kushan period piece, selling to Camberra's National Gallery of Art (NGA). The art controversy ended during the two premiers' summit last September 2014.
31/12/2014 INDONESIA
AirAsia QZ8501, recovery of bodies difficult. Families: We want to say farewell
Indonesian authorities confirm they have identified the remains of the plane. Weather conditions hamper search operations. Six bodies recovered so far. The images spark desperation and fainting. A family member: "I continue to hope in a miracle."