25 August 2016
AsiaNews.it Twitter AsiaNews.it Facebook
Geographic areas




  • > Africa
  • > Central Asia
  • > Europe
  • > Middle East
  • > Nord America
  • > North Asia
  • > South Asia
  • > South East Asia
  • > South West Asia
  • > Sud America
  • > East Asia
  •    - China
  •    - Hong Kong
  •    - Japan
  •    - Macau
  •    - North Korea
  •    - South Korea
  •    - Taiwan

  • mediazioni e arbitrati, risoluzione alternativa delle controversie e servizi di mediazione e arbitrato


    » 07/31/2014, 00.00

    SOUTH KOREA

    Korea, discovered corpse "not the Sewol owner"



    Announced by a group of parliamentarians who visited the forensic laboratory for the autopsy and identification of the body (found in June) and recognized (in July) as belonging to Yoo Byung-eun. Doubts about fingerprints and the stature of the body. Experts: "Science cannot explain everything, but of course the authorities have handled the case badly." 57% of Koreans "do not trust" the government.

    Seoul (AsiaNews) - A new mystery is shrouding the death of Yoo Byung-eun, the owner of the Sewol ferry whose body was discovered by authorities June 12 but only identified on July 20. The industrialist, 73, has become the most wanted fugitive in the country after the tragedy involving his ship, which killed more than 300 people. According to some members of the new political alliance for Democracy (NAPD, opposition), the body is not Yoo.  

    A delegation from the NAPD yesterday visited the forensic laboratory where the autopsy and identification of the body is being carried out. A spokesman for the group, Park Beom-kye, said: "A police official who was present at the scene of the body's identification told me that judging from appearance, he was 'certain' it was not Yoo. Moreover, the deceased was 159 centimeters tall, the corpse was only 150 centimeters tall. It's also strange that the authorities were able to identify him via a fingerprint sample from his right hand in July, when the hand was supposedly so decayed that it was impossible to obtain a sample in June".

    The time discrepancy is explained by the fact that, according to investigators, the body was found June 12, more than a month prior to identification. At first the officials involved had declared that the tissues had expired and were unusable to identify the corpse, only to declare (July 20) that they had been taken fingerprints from the right hand. According to the deputy Park Jie-won, who cites 5 residents of the area affected by the investigation, the body was discovered even before the sinking of the Sewol (which took place on April 16) and then used to close the investigation into Yoo.

    These suspicions have prompted responses from some experts. Pyo Chang-won, a well-known criminologist, said: "The DNA testing shows that the deceased and Yoo Byung-eun's brother had the same mother, and his fingerprints matched that on Yoo's ID card. The dental records from the body also match those of Yoo, who had 10 gold teeth, which is very unusual. There is very little possibility that it (the body) is not Yoo's, unless it's an avatar clone of him". For Professor Yoo Seong-ho, a professor of forensic medicine at the National University of Seoul, the question of the "reappearance" of the fingerprints is explained by the conditions in which the body was found: "When an initially wet body dries up after time, the ridges in the finger reappear, allowing forensic officials to obtain a fingerprint sample".

    In any case, the issue has divided Korean civil society even more. According to a national survey, 57% of citizens "do not trust the results" or the authorities proclamations on the case. The same experts criticize the behavior of government agencies. According to Prof. Yoo "I'm just speculating, but the police must have given up trying to identify the body after one try. The incompetence of the officials coupled with a misunderstanding (among the public) is presumed to have led to the conspiracy" .

    For Pyo, the issue is even broader: " Rather than focusing on discovering the truth, they attempted to cover up the misdeeds by those in power. A lot of the time, the public had good reason to raise suspicions. The investigators often worked as henchmen for the ones in power, which has resulted in people losing faith in what the state agencies or authorities tell them".

     

    e-mail this to a friend Printable version










    See also

    28/04/2015 SOUTH KOREA
    Sewol verdict overturned: life imprisonment for captain of ferry that killed 300 people
    After criticism from families of the victims, the courts recognize the charge of manslaughter. The first officer will have to serve 12 years in prison, the second 7. Three crew members cleared of more serious charges, instead charged with "negligence".

    23/08/2014 SOUTH KOREA
    Sewol activist hospitalized after 40 days of hunger strike
    In the April 16 disaster, Kim Young-oh lost his 17 year old daughter. Since then together with other families of victims he has campaigned for a new law to punish those responsible for the massacre. The man met Pope Francis before the beatification of the 124 Korean martyrs, and gave him the yellow badge that is their symbol of protest. The pontiff wore it throughout the journey.

    25/02/2015 SOUTH KOREA
    Baptized by the Pope in Korea: 500 kilometers of rosaries and prostration to demand justice for Sewol
    Francis Lee Ho-jin lost his son in the sinking of the ferry in April 2014. Almost a year after the massacre, the government has yet to clarify those responsible for the disaster. Together with his daughter, he is marching on foot from the south of the country to the capital: every three steps, he prostrates himself to ask the population to remember the more than 300 victims. The continuous recitation of the Marian prayer for the repose of the souls.

    11/11/2014 SOUTH KOREA
    Korea, Sewol captain sentenced to 36 years in prison
    The courts have found him guilty of "gross negligence" but rejected the charge of murder. All other crew members on trial also condemned. The chief engineer of the ferry that sank last April, gets 30 years in jail. 304 people died in the tragedy, one of the worst accidents in the history of South Korea.

    29/04/2014 SOUTH KOREA
    South Korean President Park apologizes over ferry sinking
    "I feel heavy-hearted after a lot of precious lives were lost due to this accident", Park said in an official report. Public anger over the sinking has been growing for crew members' conduct. The captain, the third mate and a helmsman face a life sentence.



    Editor's choices

    CHINA - VATICAN
    In China-Holy See talks, silence shrouds future of underground priests

    Zhao Nanxiong

    Later this year, all priests must register to receive a certificate that allows them to exercise their ministry. But the request has to go through the Patriotic Association, whose statutes are "incompatible" with Catholic doctrine. Many priests, official and unofficial, now face an enormous dilemma.


    IRAQ
    Alqosh, despite the Islamic State, the Church celebrates the first communion of one hundred children



    On the feast day of the Assumption the whole community attended the function, celebrated by Mar Sako. For the patriarchal vicar, this is an historic moment for the frontier town long threatened by jihadists. The Chaldean primate calls on children to "contribute to the community." In Kirkuk His Beatitude opened a grotto dedicated to Our Lady.


    AsiaNews IS ALSO A MONTHLY!

    AsiaNews monthly magazine (in Italian) is free.
     

    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    News feed

    Canale RSScanale RSS 

    Add to Google









     

    IRAN 2016 Banner

    2003 © All rights reserved - AsiaNews C.F. e P.Iva: 00889190153 - GLACOM®